Tuesday 10 October 2006

Well, 24-Hour Comics Day has come and gone, and at the end of it I find that I have 24 pages of new comics completed, or rather I find that I have a single 24 four page comic completed. I’m absolutely shattered, but feel strangely calm inside, like Ralph Macchio at the end of the first Karate Kid film.

Let me tell you a bit about the comic first. It’s called “What It Is And What It Was” and as you can probably guess from my other work, it’s a bit of a melodrama. To be honest, if I had the slightest idea of what I was doing, there’s no way that I would have attempted something of the magnitude that I did – the story is a multi-threaded monster of a thing, taking place over forty years and various countries. It’s one of the oddest things I’ve done, though it bears some similarities to “The Space Between Words” from SFM18. There’s a lot of writing in it, and an lot of complicated panel layouts.

Which is why once I finished the layouts and lettering I found myself with just under five hours to go.

I got it done though, and you’ll be able to see it with this weekend’s update – so expect twenty-four pages instead of the usual two this Sunday.

In attendance at the ICA as well as myself were my fine front-line friends David Baillie and Dan Fish, as well as Matilda Tristram, Matt Broersma, Steven Appleby and many more. Also in attendance as support or in other duties were the marvellous people who bear the following names, in no particular order: Sean Azzopardi, Ade Brown, Paul Gravett, Mark Stafford, Anna Jellinek, Jamie McKelvie, Dan Goodbrey and the rest. Ade updated the 24-Hour Comic Day blog with all the names that I’ve forgotten, so hi to you all from me. There’s also a bunch of photographs up on flickr where you can watch my gradual disintegration before your very eyes.

Thanks to all involved who made it twenty-four consecutive hours to remember.

No comments: